The budget for a new organ can range from a few thousand dollars to over a million dollars. So….what is the right number for your church and what kind of organ is possible for your budget level? Here’s a quick view of the budget ranges required for the three general types of organs:
- All-digital organ: $15K to $250K
- Pipe+digital hybrid organ using existing pipes in your church: $70K to $250K
- Pipe+digital hybrid organ with new pipes: $150K+
- Pipe organ: $250K+
Organs cannot be measured by budget size only: one must consider “how much” organ is needed for the size of the church, the style of music it is expected to support, and other musical goals you may have. Here are a few examples to consider:
- $500,000+ budget–we envision a significant organ and have people who are capable of supporting this vision. At this budget level you have multiple options for a pipe organ. A pipe+digital hybrid organ (with new pipework) is also an alternative that will generally yield a larger instrument than an all-pipe organ.
- $300,000 budget–our church is committed to a high-quality music program and wants an organ that will make a significant musical impact in our church and community. At this budget level there are a variety of options: a top-of-the-line Rodgers digital organ is easily achieved and will make an impact without doubt, a pipe+digital hybrid organ (either with your existing pipes or new pipes if you don’t currently have a pipe organ) is within your budget scope, and a smaller pipe organ could be considered, but may be limited in its ability to satisfy the desire to make a significant musical impact.
- $150,000 budget–the organ needs to support a congregation of 600 – 1,200 singing lustily, plus occasional concert needs. A Rodgers digital organ will easily accomplish this, a pipe+digital hybrid organ with new pipes is an option, but will be a smaller organ overall. Interfacing a new Rodgers digital console to your existing pipe organ will create an impressive instrument that will achieve any musical goal.
- $80,000 budget–the organ needs to support a variety of worship music needs in our 500 to 800 seat sanctuary. You have multiple options for a Rodgers digital organ, and a pipe+digital hybrid organ is an option if you have a functioning pipe organ in the church that you wish to continue using. A pre-owned Rodgers organ is also an option that will enable getting a larger organ compared to a brand new model.
- $50,000 budget–our church seats 300 to 600 and we have both traditional and contemporary music in our worship services. A Rodgers digital organ is a great option that provides all the versatility you want for traditional and contemporary music. A pre-owned Rodgers organ is also an option that will enable a larger organ compared to a brand new model.
- $25,000 budget–our church is small and a budget of this size is a stretch, but we would still like to have a quality organ. At this budget level there are new and pre-owned Rodgers digital organ options that will provide a quality solution.
Go to Options for churches with smaller pipe organs (19 ranks or less)
Go to Options for churches with larger pipe organs (20 ranks and larger)